Family Cash:
Financial information for UK families

Familycash provides advice on tax credits, benefits, saving money, obtaining bargains and discounts, investing for your children and accessing cheap education

Employment and Support Allowance

If you have been ill and are not claiming sick pay you could qualify for benefits that provide extra money and help you get back into work
What is Employment and Support Allowance?

Employment and Support Allowance is a benefit that is paid to people in England, Scotland and Wales who are unable to work due to illness or disability. Personalised support is also provided for people who are able to work.

There are two types of allowance: contributions-based (depending on how much National Insurance you have paid) and income-based (depending on your income and savings, if you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions).

Who qualifies for Employment and Support Allowance?

To qualify for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) you will need to be under State Pension age and have an illness or disability that affects your ability to work. You can be employed, self-employed or unemployed and you must not be in receipt of Statutory Sick Pay. You will need to undertake a medical assessment called the Work Capability Assessment.

How much is Employment and Support Allowance?

The amount of ESA that you will receive depends on your age, your personal circumstances and your income and savings (for income-related ESA). It also depends on the phase of the programme (the assessment phase lasts for 13 weeks and you are paid a basic rate of ESA).

How much do I get in the main phase?

The main phase is made up of support groups for those with severe problems who are not expected to work and work-related activity groups for those who are capable of returning to work. The following maximum weekly payments are available:

How do I claim Employment and Support Allowance?

You can claim Employment and Support Allowance by telephone on 0800 055 6688, textphone on 0800 023 4888 or by downloading a claim form.

Where can I get more information about Employment and Support Allowance?

More information about ESA can be obtained from the Government information website. You may also be interested in finding out more about the Personal Independence Payment.